Economic Botany: Principles and Practices
Gerald E. Wickens
Softcover 556 pp ISBN 9781402022289
Hardcover 556 pp ISBN 9780792367819
Unlike most books on economic botany this is not an encyclopedic listing of plants and
their uses. Instead it is an attempt at understanding why plants are used. Economic botany is a
multidisciplinary study and the purpose of this book is to provide an introduction to some
of the scientific principles, processes, and practices involved. The subjects discussed include
the role of economic and ethnobotany, plant collecting, taxonomy and nomenclature, the
environment and the physiological, morphological and anatomical adaptations of the plant
thereto, plant conservation, plant breeding and propagation, the marketing of crops and
crop products, basic human and animal nutrition, human and animal foods, desirable insect
foods, timber and wood products, fuel, fibres, biochemicals, human and veterinary medicine,
plant toxins, lower plants and their products, the role of plants in ameliorating the environment,
and the social uses of plants. it is hoped that this book will appeal to both the student and
practitioner, irrespective of their primary discipline.
- 1. Economic Botany.
- 2. Plant Collecting, Taxonomy and Nomenclature.
3. Environmental Considerations.
- 4. Plant Conservation.
- 5. Ecophysiology and Allied Disciplines.
6. Plant Breeding and Propagation.
- 7. Marketing of Crops and Crop Products.
- 8. Human and Animal Nutrition.
9. Human Food and Food Additives.
- 10. Feed for Livestock.
- 11. Food for Bees and other Desirable
- 12. Timber and Wood Products.
- 13. Fuel.
- 14. Vegetable Fibres.
- 15. Phytochemicals.
16. Human and Veterinary Medicinal Plants.
- 17. Plant Toxins and their Applications.
18. Useful Ferns, Bryophytes, Fungi, Bacteria and Viruses.
- 19. Useful Algae.
- 20. Environmental Uses.
21. Social Uses.
- 22. At the Start of the 21st Century.
- Taxonomic Index.
- Chemical index.
- Subject Index.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
: biological conversion
: environmental protection
: food crops
: food science
: novel crops
: plant genetics
: plant nutrition
: plant science
: trees and timber