Handbook of Medicinal Herbs - 2nd Edition
Edited by James A Duke and Maryl Fulton
Hardback 896 pages ISBN 9780849312847
Catalogs more than 800 of the world's most important medicinal plant species
- Includes plants from all over the world - from common cultivars to rare species
- Provides comparative safety rankings for all species
- Supplies relative efficacy rankings and published sources for all indications -
several thousand indications in all
- Provides accurate illustrations of hundreds of the most important medicinal plants -
many in color
Still considered the definitive work on medicinal herbs and their uses after two decades,
the Handbook of Medicinal Herbs has undergone a long-anticipated revision. In the second
edition, world-renowned ethnobotanist James A. Duke provides up-to-date data on over
800 of the world's most important medicinal plant species. The book contains more species,
phytochemicals, proven indications, folk indications, and dosage data than the first edition
in a new easier to use format. The in-depth content, the addition of color plates and over
200 black and white illustrations makes this book the most comprehensive resource on
medicinal herbs available.
NEW IN THE SECOND EDITION:
- Over 100 color plates, 4 color maps
- Over 200 black and white illustrations
- Over 800 medicinal plants - more than twice as many as the previous edition organized alphabetically by common name
- More herbs from the African, Ayurvedic, Chinese, and Jamu traditions
EASY ACCESS TO INFORMATION YOU NEED
Designed to give you fast access to the information you need on a regular basis, this
new edition is organized more systematically than any other medicinal herb publication.
The entries are now arranged alphabetically by common name with the scientific name in
parenthesis. Major synonyms are also provided.
It has become increasingly clear that there are hundreds of biologically active compounds,
often additive or synergistic, in all our plants, foods, spices, herbs, medicinal, and poisonous
plants. The debate continues on how these plants work and how they should be used.
Blending scientific fact with folk uses and the author's personal experience, Handbook of
Medicinal Herbs, Second Edition provides the most well rounded discussions of safety,
efficacy, toxicity, and rational use found in any herbal reference.
Alphabetical listing of medicinal herbs by common name.