Edited by Peter Williams, David Thomas and Colin Reynolds
Hardback 400pp, 150 illus ISBN 9780632057115
- Internationally recognised editors and contributors.
- A landmark publication in marine and freshwater biology.
- All major aspects covered in a clear and consise reader-friendly manner.
- Invaluable for all those working in aquatic sciences.
This landmark publication takes the 50th anniversary of the publication of the seminal
paper by the Danish scientist, Einer Steemann Nielsen, as an occasion to assess the
development, present state and future of the major aspects in freshwater and marine
plankton productivity. Each chapter of this important work has been written by
internationally-acknowledged experts in the subject, and the whole has been carefully
drawn together and edited to provide a book that is an essential tool and reference for all
The book takes ascending temporal and spatial size scale as its framework -
covering molecular to geological scales. Chapters include reviews of physiology and
biochemistry, measurement of phytoplankton productivity, the supply and uptake of nutrients,
variability in processes and production, the evolution of the carbon cycle, and ecosystems.
The subject is set in context with a chapter covering the work of Steemann Nielsen, whose
work inspired the last 50 years of aquatic productivity studies. Historical aspects are discussed
together with thought-provoking assessments of modern technological approaches and
where future research emphasis should be focussed.
Phytoplankton Productivity provides, in one book, cutting edge reviews and key facts
on the subject, making it a vital information source for marine and freshwater biologists,
oceanographers, ecologists, environmental scientists and plant scientists. Copies should also
be available in libraries of any research establishment and university as a reference for
students, wherever these subjects are studied and taught.
Biography Of Steemann Nielsen
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- History Of The Study Of Plankton Productivity
- Physiology And Biochemistry Of Photosynthesis And Algal Carbon Acquisition
- Approaches To The Measurement Of Plankton Production
- Diffusive Supply Of Inorganic Nutrients: Theory And Methodology
- Variability Of Plankton And Plankton Processes On The Mesoscale
- Assessment Of Primary Production On The Global Scale
- Origins And Causes Of Interannual Variability Of Freshwater Phytoplankton
- Interannual Variability Of Phytoplankton In Oceanic Systems
- Ecosystem Function And Eutrophication
- The Evolution Of The Productivity Of The Oceans And The Significance Of The Evolution Of Specific Groups
- Regional-Scale Influences On The Long-Term Dynamics Of Lakes
- Marine Productivity: The Footprint Of The Past And Steps Into The Future
: animal health
: carbon cycle
: environmental impact
: environmental science
: fisheries science
: plant science
: water science