Paperback 286 pp ISBN 9780521705233
Hardback 286 pp ISBN 9780521879538
- Provides an integrative overview of ecosystem functioning allowing orientation in a complex
research field with highly ambiguous and often vague terminology
- Proposes a new view on the subject linking the natural sciences with approaches from the humanities,
and introduces ecologists and conservation biologists to new productive and rather unfamiliar methodologies
- Case studies relate theoretical considerations with relevant applications, with the practical relevance
of more theoretical issues becoming clearer
- Introduces a new methodology for a clear and efficient application of ecosystem functioning
concepts in practice, and helps researchers apply concepts in conservation projects
In the face of decreasing biodiversity and ongoing global changes, maintaining ecosystem functioning
is seen both as a means to preserve biological diversity as well as for safeguarding human well-being by
securing the services ecosystems provide. The concept today is prominent in many fields of ecology
and conservation biology, such as biodiversity research, ecosystem management, or restoration ecology.
Although the idea of ecosystem functioning is important, the concept itself remains rather vague and elusive.
This book provides a novel analysis and integrated synthesis of different approaches to conceptualising and
assessing ecosystem functioning. It links the natural sciences with methodologies from philosophy and the
social sciences, and introduces a new methodology for a clearer and more efficient application of ecosystem
functioning concepts in practice. Special emphasis is laid on the social dimensions of the concept and the
ways it influences research practice. Several case studies relate theoretical analyses to practical application.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- Setting the scene. The context of investigating ecosystem functioning
- What do we need for a functioning ecosystem? The debate on biodiversity and ecosystem functioning
- Becoming general: What is ecosystem functioning?
- Ecosystem functioning: science meets society
- Assessing ecosystem functioning: existing approaches
- Putting ecosystem functioning concepts into practice: a classification and some guidelines
Cambridge University Press
: biology, general
: life sciences