Environmental Microbiology covers cultivation of diverse microbes, physiological
ecology and nucleic acid techniques in environmental microbiology. Both applied methods
(such as cultivation and preparation) and theoretical modeling (such as bioenergetic calculation
programs and imaging) are discussed. A significant number of chapters on methods in activity
measurement are included.
Hardback 568 pages ISBN 9780121828028
1. Anoxic media design, preparation, and considerations; 2. Enrichment and isolation
of anaerobic hydrocarbon degraders; 3. Anammox organisms: enrichment, cultivation, and environmental analysis;
4. Enrichment and isolation of metal and humic acid reducing microbes; 5. Enrichment, cultivation, and
detection of reductively dechlorinating bacteria; 6. Enrichment and isolation of iron-oxidizing bacteria at neutral pH;
7. High throughput cultivation of microorganisms using microcapsules
II. Physiological Ecology
8. Chemotaxis and behavioral physiology of not-yet-cultivated microbes; 9.
Analysis of microbial communities with electrochemical microsensors and microscale biosensors; 10.
Optical microsensors for analysis of microbial communities; 11. In situ measurements of metabolite fluxes:
microinjection of radiotracers into insect guts and other small compartments; 12. Assaying for the
hydroxypropionate pathway of carbon fixation; 13. Analysis of trace hydrogen metabolism ; 14.
Advances in microscopy: microautoradiography of single cells; 15. Atomic Force Microscopy of
III. Nucleic Acid Techniques
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
16. Nucleic acid recovery from complex environmental samples;
17. The application of rarefaction techniques to molecular inventories of microbial diversity; 18. Culture-independent
microbial community analysis with terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism; 19. Quantitative
community analysis - capillary electrophoresis techniques; 20. In situ functional gene analysis: RING-FISH;
21. Simultaneous fluorescence in situ hybridization of mRNA and rRNA for the detection of gene expression in
environmental microbes; 22. Community-level analysis of phototrophy: psbA gene diversity; 23.
Quantitative analysis of nifH genes and transcripts from aquatic environments; 24. Community level analysis:
genetic and biogeochemical approaches to investigate community composition and function in aerobic ammonia
oxidation; 25. Community-level analysis: key genes of aerobic methane oxidation; 26. Methyl-coenzyme
reductase genes € unique functional markers for methanogenic and anaerobic methane-oxidizing Archaea;
27. Community-level analysis: genes encoding methanopterin dependent activities; 28. Community-level analysis
: key genes of CO2-reductive acetogenesis; 29.
Functional marker genes for identification of sulphate-reducing prokaryotes
: beneficial microorganisms
: environmental science
: risk assessment