James P. Allen
This text presents physical chemistry through the use of biological and biochemical topics, examples
and applications to biochemistry. It lays out the necessary calculus in a step by step fashion for students
who are less mathematically inclined, leading them through fundamental concepts, such as a quantum
mechanical description of the hydrogen atom rather than simply stating outcomes. Techniques are presented
with an emphasis on learning by analyzing real data.
Hardcover 512 pp ISBN 9781405124362
- Presents physical chemistry through the use of biological and biochemical topics, examples and
applications to biochemistry
- Lays out the necessary calculus in a step by step fashion for students who are less mathematically inclined
- Presents techniques with an emphasis on learning by analyzing real data
- Features qualitative and quantitative problems at the end of each chapter
- All art available for download online and on CD-ROM
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
1. Basic Thermodynamic and Biochemical Concepts.
Part 1: Thermodynamics and Kinetics:.
2. First Law of Thermodynamics.
3. Second Law of Thermodynamics.
4. Phase Diagrams, Mixtures, and Chemical Potential.
5. Equilibria and Reactions Involving Protons.
6. Oxidation/Reduction Reactions and Bioenergetics.
7. Kinetics and Enzymes.
8. The Boltzmann Distribution and Statistical Thermodynamics.
Part 2: Quantum Mechanics and Spectroscopy:.
9. Quantum Theory: Introduction and Principles.
10. Particle in a Box and Tunneling.
11. Vibrational Motion and Infrared Spectroscopy.
12. Atomic Structure: Hydrogen Atom and Multi-Electron Atoms.
13. Chemical Bonds and Protein Interactions.
14. Electronic Transitions and Optical Spectroscopy.
15. X-Ray Diffraction and Extended X-Ray Absorption Fine Structure.
16. Magnetic Resonance.
Part 3: Understanding Biological Systems using Physical Chemistry:.
17. Signal Transduction.
18. Membrane Potentials, Transporters, and Channels.
19. Molecular Imaging.
References and Further Reading.
Answers to Problems.
: cell biology