Mosquito Ecology - Field Sampling Methods (3rd edition)
John B Silver
This is the Third Edition of this popular reference work, originally devised and written by Professor
M W Service and now updated by John B Silver. The purpose of the third edition is in keeping
with the original vision of Professor Service to describe the methods and rationale for sampling mosquitoes,
with particular emphasis on the ecology and behaviour of those species that play a role as vectors of human
and animal diseases and infections.
Hardcover 1477 pp ISBN 9781402066658
The book is designed to serve as a practical reference for field entomologists
and mosquito control specialists and describes the sampling methods and available trapping technologies and
tools for the collection of all life-stages of mosquitoes, from egg to adult. It also describes the techniques available
for data analysis and discusses ecological principles of relevance to the study of field populations of mosquitoes.
While concentrating primarily on mosquitoes, many of the techniques described are suitable for the study of other
Diptera, including Ceratopogonidae, Chironomidae, Simuliidae, Phlebotominae, etc.
Written for field entomologists, mosquito control specialists
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
Designing a mosquito sampling programme.
- Sampling the Egg Population.
- Sampling the Larval
- Sampling the Emerging Adult Population.
- Sampling the adult Resting Population.
- Sampling Adults by Animal Bait Catches and by Animal-Baited Traps.
- Blood-Feeding and
its Epidemiological Significance.
- Sampling Adults with Non-Attractant Traps.
- Sampling Adults
- Sampling Adults with Carbon Dioxide Traps.
- Sampling Adults with Visual Attraction
Traps, Sound Traps and other Miscellaneous Attraction Traps.
- Estimation of the Mortalities of the
- Methods of Age-Grading Adult and Estimation of Adult Survival Rates.
- Estimating the Size of the Adult Population.
- Measuring Adults Dispersal.
Experimental Hut Techniques.
- Indices of Association and Species Diversity Indices.
: analytical methods
: monitoring systems, pest