Experiments in Unit Operations and Processing of Foods
Edited by Cortez Vieira, Maria Margarida; Ho, Peter
One of the series Integrating Safety and Environmental Knowledge Into Food Studies
towards European Sustainable Development
The ISEKI-Food book series is a collection of books where various aspects of food safety and environmental
issues are introduced and reviewed by scientists specializing in the field. In all of the books a
special emphasis is placed on including case studies applicable to each specific topic. The books are
intended for graduate students and senior level undergraduate students as well as professionals and
researchers interested in food safety and environmental issues applicable to food safety.
Hardcover 190 pp ISBN 9780387335131
"ISEKI-Food" is an acronym for "Integrating Safety and Environmental Knowledge Into Food Studies".
Participants in the ISEKI-Food network, coordinated by Professor Cristina Silva at The Catholic University
of Portugal, come from 29 countries in Europe and most of the institutes and universities involved with Food
Science education at the university level in Europe are represented. Some international companies and non
teaching institutions have also participated in the network. The main objectives of ISEKI-Food are
to improve the harmonization of studies in food science and engineering in Europe and to develop and
adapt food science curricula emphasizing the inclusion of safety and environmental topics.
Experiments in Unit Operations and Processing of Foods contains experimental protocols in unit operations
and food processing, adapted from practical courses currently running in those institutions involved in ISEKI-Food.
It is meant to complement existing practical courses, when equipment needed to perform certain unit operations may
be unavailable. Basic theory, discussion questions, and references to relevant sources are provided for each
Written for libraries, researchers, students
Part I: Conversion Operations.
- Mixing: Determining Mixing Parameters
- Filtration I: Determinging Filterability of Suspensions
- Filtration II: Using a Plate-and-Frame Filter
- Centrifugation: Separating Cream from Milk
- Concentration: Direct Osmotic Concentration of Liquid Foods
- Osmotic Dehydration: Vacuum Impregnation of Fruit.
- Expression: Extraction of Pumpkin Oil
Part II: Preservation Operations
- Dehydration I: Tray Drying of Apples
- Dehydration II: Mass Balances on a Combined Air-Microwave Drying Process
- Spray Drier: Atomization of Milk.
- Operating a Fluid Bed Drier.
- Freeze Drying Foods.
- Determining Freezing Times of Food with a Plate Freezer
- Comparing Air Blast and Fluidized Bed Framing
- Pasteurization with a Plate Heat Exchanger. Sterilization in Cans
Part III: Food Processing Operations
- Ingredients in Infant Foods: Pregelatinized Amaranth Flour Using a Drum Dryer
- Wheat Crisps: Extrusion Cooking Technology
- Semolina: Milling and Sieving
- Semi-Hard Cheese: Cheese Making Technology.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
: food safety
: food science
: food, chilled and frozen