Sulfur Metabolism in Phototrophic Organisms
Edited by Hell, R.; Dahl, C.; Knaff, D.; Leustek, Th.
Sulfur is one of the most versatile elements in life due to its reactivity in different oxidation and reduction states.
In phototrophic organisms, the redox properties of sulfur in proteins, and of sulfur-containing metabolites, are
particularly important in the interaction between the reductive assimilation processes of photosynthesis and
reactive oxygen species that arise as by-products of electron transport chains. Thiol groups in proteins and
metabolites are targets of reactive oxygen species, resulting in potential damage and at the same time giving
rise to redox signal cascades that trigger repair reactions and adaptation to environmental stress. Further,
reduced sulfur compounds play a prominent role as electron donors for photosynthetic carbon dioxide fixation
in anoxygenic phototrophic sulfur bacteria. Interest in the investigation of the multiple functions of sulfur-related
processes has increased exponentially in recent years, especially in molecular and cellular biology, biochemistry,
agrobiotechnology and ecology.
Hardcover 516 pp ISBN 9781402068621
This book provides, for the first time, in-depth and integrated coverage of the functions
of sulfur in phototrophic organisms including bacteria, plants and algae; it bridges gaps between
biochemistry and cellular biology of sulfur in these organisms, and of biology and environments
dominated by them. This book is designed to be a comprehensive resource on sulfur in phototrophic
organisms for advanced undergraduate and graduate students, beginning researchers and teachers in the area
of photosynthesis, bacterial energy metabolism, biotechnology, plant nutrition, plant production and plant molecular
Written for researchers and teachers in prokaryotic and plant metabolism; environment, ecology, genomics and
biochemistry specialists; asdvanced students in microbiology, plants science, agricultural and environmental studies
(photosynthesis, bacterial energy metabolism, biotechnology, plant nutrition, plant production and plant molecular
physiology); graduate and undergraduate students of botany and microbiology.
I. Sulfate Activation And Reduction, Biosynthesis Of Sulfur Containing Amino Acids.
- Introduction To Sulfur Metabolism In Phototrophic Organisms;
Christiane Dahl, Rüdiger Hell,David Knaff, Thomas Leustek.
- Uptake, Allocation And Subcellular Transport Of Sulfate;Malcolm J. Hawkesford .
- Phylogenetic Analysis Of Sulfate Assimilation And Cysteine Biosynthesis In Phototrophic
Organisms;Stanislav Kopriva , Nicola Patron, Tom Leustek, Patrick Keeling.
- Metabolism Of Cysteine In Plants And Phototrophic Bacteria;Rüdiger Hell, Markus Wirtz .
- Metabolism Of Methionine In Plants And Phototrophic Bacteria;Rainer Hoefgen, Holger Hesse.
- Sulfotransferases From Plants, Algae And Phototrophic Bacteria;Cinta Hernández-Sebastià, Frédéric Marsolais,
- Cysteine Desulfurase-Mediated Sulfur Donation Pathways In Plants
And Phototrophic Bacteria;Lolla Padmavathi, Hong Ye, Elizabeth AH Pilon-Smits, Marinus Pilon
II Sulfur In Plants And Algae:
- Molecular Biology And Functional Genomics For Identification
- Of Regulatory Networks Of Plant Sulfate Uptake And Assimilatory Metabolism;Hideki Takahashi,
- Biosynthesis, Compartmentation And Cellular Functions Of Glutathione In Plant Cells;Andreas Meyer,
- Sulfolipid Biosynthesis And Function In Plants;Christoph Benning, R. Michael Garavito, Mie Shimojia.
- Sulfur-Containing Secondary Metabolites And Their Role In Plant Defense;Meike Burow, Jonathan
Gershenzon, Ute Wittstock.
- Sulfite Oxidation In Plants;Robert Hänsch, Ralf R. Mendel
- The State Of Sulfur Metabolism In Algae: From Ecology To Genomics;Nakako Shibagaki, Arthur Grossman
III. Sulfur In Phototrophic Prokaryotes:
- Systematics Of Anoxygenic Phototrophic Bacteria;Johannes Imhoff.
- Inorganic Sulfur Compounds As Electron Donors In Purple Sulfur Bacteria;Christiane Dahl.
- .Sulfide Oxidation From Cyanobacteria To Humans: Sulfide-Quinone Oxidoreductase;Yosepha Shahak,
- Genomic Insights Into The Sulfur Metabolism Of Phototrophic Green Sulfur Bacteria;Niels-Ulrik Frigaard,
- Genetic And Proteomic Studies Of Sulfur Oxidation In Chlorobium Tepdium Chlorobium
Tepidum;Leong-Keat Chan, Rachael Morgan-Kiss, Thomas E. Hanson.
IV. Ecology And Biotechnology:
- Ecology Of Phototrophic Sulfur Bacteria;Jörg Overmann.
- Role Of Sulfur For Algae: Acquisition, Metabolism, Ecology And Evolution;Mario Giordano,
Alessandra Norici, Simona Ratti, John A. Raven.
- Role Of Sulfur For Plant Production In Agricultural And Natural Ecosystems;Fangjie Zhao, Michael Tausz ,
Luit De Kok.
- Using Anoxygenic Photosynthetic Bacteria For The Removal Of Sulfide From Wastewater;Timothy J
. Hurse, Ulrike Kappler, Jürg Keller.
V. Specific Methods:
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- X-Ray Absorption Spectroscopy As Tool For The Detection And Identification Of Sulfur Compounds
In Phototrophic Organisms;Alexander Prange, Josef Hormes, Hartwig Modrow.
- Imaging Thiol-Based Redox Processes In Live Cells;Andreas Meyer, Mark D. Fricker.
: metabolic reactions
: plant science
: sulfur (sulphur)