SALICYLIC ACID - A Plant Hormone
Edited by S Hayat and A Ahmad
Phytohormones are involved in directing the plant growth, in a coordinated fashion in association
with metabolism that provides energy and the building blocks to develop the form that we recognize as plant.
Out of the recognized hormones, attention has largely been focused on Auxins, Gibberellins, Cytokinins,
Abscisic acid, Ethylene and more recently to Brassinosteroids. This book provides
information about a natural chemical, Salicylic Acid, that could be raised to the status
of the above phytohormones because it has significant impact on various aspects of the plant life.
Hardcover 401 pp ISBN 9781402051838
Salicylic acid (SA) was first discovered as a major component in the extracts from
Salix (willow) whose bark from ancient time, was used as an anti-inflammatory drug.
This acid (SA) is a phenol, ubiquitous in plants generating a significant impact on plant
growth and development, photosynthesis, transpiration, ion uptake and transport and also induces
specific changes in leaf anatomy and chloroplast structure. SA is recognized as an endogenous signal,
mediating in plant defence, against pathogens.
This book includes contributions made by various experts, spread over the world.
Since the work on Salicylic Acid is currently rather scattered it was thought prudent
to draw this all together in one volume. This will naturally facilitate a ready reference of the material to
students and researchers, alike.
Written for university libraries, graduate students of Agronomy, researchers.
- Salicylic acid: Biosynthesis, metabolism and physiological role in plants; S. Hayat, B. Ali and A. Ahmad
- Effects of salicylic acid on the bioproductivity of plants; A. Larqué-Saavedra and R. Martin-Mex
- Effect of salicylic acid on solute transport in plants; M.S. Krasavina
- Role of hormonal system in the manifestation of growth promoting and antistress action of salicylic acid; F.M.
- Role of salicylic acid in the induction of abiotic stress tolerance; T. Janda, E. Horváth, G. Szalai and E. Páldi
- The role of salicylates in Rhizobium-legume symbiosis and abiotic stresses in higher plants; F. Mabood and D. Smith
- Stress and antistress effects of salicylic acid and acetyl salicylic acid on potato culture technology; H.A.
Lopez-Delgado, I.M. Scott and M.E. Mora-Herrera
- Salicylic acid and reactive oxygen species in the activation of stress defense genes; L. Holuigue, P. Salinas,
F. Blanco and V. Garretón
- The interplay between salicylic acid and reactive oxygen species during cell death in plants; J.F. Dat, N.
Capelli, F. van Breusegem
- Salicylic acid as a defense-related plant hormone: Roles of oxidative and calcium signaling paths in salicylic
acid biology; T. Kawano and T. Furuichi
- Salicylic acid and local resistance to pathogens; I.V. Maksimov and L. G. Yarullina
- Salicylic acid in plant disease resistance; R. Chaturvedi and J. Shah
- Transcriptomic analysis of salicylic acid-responsive genes in tobacco BY-2 cells; I. Galis and K. Matsuoka
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
: plant hormones
: plant physiology
: plant science