Crop Biosecurity - Assuring our Global Food Supply
These are the Proceedings of the combined NATO Collaborative Linkage Grant on
Tools for Crop Biosecurity, Torino, Italy 10-11 November 2005; Giza, Egypt 18-20 March 2006;
Bet Dagan, Israel 23-27 March 2006.
Hardcover 148 pp ISBN 9781402084751
Softcover 148 pp ISBN 9781402084775
Prevention and preparedness are the two basic approaches to maximize food security against any
sort of tampering, whether natural, inadvertent or intentional. The NATO funded project Tools for
crop biosecuritywas designed to strengthen the cooperation among U.S., Europe and Israel in the
field of crop biosecurity and to generate awareness on how the psychological, economic and cultural
consequences of crop bioterrorism, especially attacks on soft targets such as crop seeds, could have
a disproportionate adverse effect on Mediterranean agriculture and, more generally, on society.
This book illustrates the achievements of the project originated from the workshops organized during
the project itself taking in consideration main microbiological threads posed to crops, the tools to recognize
and to control them, the needs for international cooperation and research funds to create networks which can face
emerging risks for agriculture.
Written for: Policy makers, experts in crop biosecurity, plant pathologists, biologists, researchers, lawyers,
experts in diagnostics, agronomists, extension services
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- Preface. List of Contributors.
- Crop Biosecurity: Definitions and Role in Food Safety and Food Security; M.L. Gullino et al.
- Scope of the Project; M.L. Gullino.
- Challenges to Crop Biosecurity; J.P. Stack.
- High Consequence Plant Pathogens; A. Gamliel.
- Crop Biosecurity: Local, National, Regional and Global Perspectives; A.Gamliel et al.
- The Need for Diagnostic Tools and Infrastructure; F. Tinivella et al.
- Crop Biosecurity: Containment and Eradication of Invasive Pathogens; A.Gamliel, J. Fletcher.
- The Need of Forensic Tools in a Balanced National Agricultural Security Program; J. Fletcher.
- The Need for Secure Communications Networks and Global Connectivity; J.P. Stack, W. Baldwin.
- The Case for International Cooperation as a Strategy to achieve Crop Biosecurity; J. Fletcher.
- Crop and Food Biosecurity Research: Luxury or Need? M.L. Gullino et al.
- Evaluation of Critical Issues and Identification of Research and Investment Needs in the Field of Crop
Biosecurity; M.L. Gullino et al.
- European Commission's Green Paper on Biopreparedness; I. Bénoliel.
: agriculture & forestry
: food science
: plant science