Improvement of Crop Plants for Industrial End Uses
Edited by Ranalli, P
Advanced biotechnologies enable breeders to produce a whole generation of new crops for specialist needs
("designer crops"), including raw materials for the energy, chemical and pharmaceutical industries.
Hardcover 533 pp ISBN 9781402054853
This book provides concerns useful to promote an increase of the productivity of crops by using functional
genomics (to understand the regulation of plant metabolism at molecular, cellular and whole plants), and
the improvement of photosynthetic efficiency (to design new plants with enhanced raw materials percent
and recovery). Fundamental thematics have been addressed: metabolic engineering, plant breeding tools,
renewable biomass for energy generation, fibres and composites, biopharmaceuticals.
The gained know how is relevant to identify bottlenecks in the major production chains and to propose
actions for moving these issues forward: in particular to; i) produce new compounds by expressing foreign
heterologous genes; ii) modify pathways to influence quality and/or yield of existing indigenous molecules; iii)
bioprocess plant or organic waste stream into value-added products.
The chapters of this book have been written by experts from all around the world. Consequently, this book
is expected to be of great interest to scientists, researchers, farmers, processors and retailers, but also to
students, technocrats and planners interested in the progress made with the development of new industrial crops.
Of interest to scientists, researchers, farmers, processors and retailers, also students, technocrats
and planners interested in the progress made with the development of new industrial crops
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- The use of functional genomics to understand components of plant metabolism and the regulation
occurring at molecular, cellular and whole plant levels; P. Pesaresi. et al
- Improving Photosynthesis and Yield Potential; J.S. Amthor.
- Marker assisted selection and genomics of industrial plants; G. Mandolino.
- Improved agronomy and management of crop plants for industrial end uses; L. Barbanti et al.
- Lignin manipulation for fibre improvement; J. Stephens&C. Halpin.
- Improvement of fibre and composites for new markets; M. Toonen et al
- In planta novel starch synthesis; R.N. Chibbar et al.
- Bioethanol: role and production technologies;D. Chiaramonti.
- Complex lipid biosynthesis and its manipulation in plants; I.A. Guschina&J.L. Harwood
- Biodiesel Production; J. v. Gerpen
- Bioelectricity & Cogeneration; G. Grassi&A. Allan.
- Genetic improvement of crops for energy generation: comparison of different provision chains with respect
to biomass and biofuel production; P. Ranalli&M. Di Candilo.
- Anaerobic Digestion: A multi-faceted Process for Energy, Environmental Management and
Rural Development; R. Braun
- Molecular farming for antigen (vaccine) production in plants; C. Lico et al.
- Molecular farming of antibodies in plants; R.M. Twyman et al.
- Molecular tailoring and boosting of bioactive secondary metabolites in medicinal plants; A. Leone et al.
- Potential market for bio-based products in the context of European greenhouse gas reduction strategies; B.
: combined heat and power
: non-food crops
: plant genetics
: plant science