A New Ecology - Systems Perspective
Sven Erik Jørgensen, Brian Fath, Simone Bastianoni, Joao Marques, Felix Muller, S. Nors Nielsen, Bernard Patten, Enzo Tiezzi and Robert Ulanowicz
This book presents an ecosystem theory based on the following ecosystem properties:
physical openness, ontic openness, directionality, connectivity, a complex dynamic for growth
and development, and a complex dynamic response to disturbances. Each of these properties is developed
in detail to show that these basic and characteristic properties can be applied to explain a wide spectrum
of ecological obsevations and convections. It is also shown that the properties have application for
environmental management and for assessment of ecosystem health.
Hardcover 288 pp ISBN 9780444531605
Of interest to researchers of ecology and biodiversity, as well as agencies tasked
with environmental management and sustainability
- Ecosystems have openness (thermodynamic).
- Ecosystems have ontic openness.
- Ecosystems have directionality.
- Ecosystems have connectivity.
- Ecosystems have complex dynamics (growth).
- Ecosystems have complex dynamics (disturbances).
- Ecosystems have broad explanatory power in ecology.
- Ecosystem principles have applications.
- Conclusions and final remarks.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
: biology, general
: systems biology