Fundamentals of Food Process Engineering - 3rd edition
Romeo T. Toledo
While continuing the tradition of expansive coverage, Fundamentals of Food Process Engineering, Third Edition,
has been fully updated and revised. The new edition of this classic text emphasizes problem solving, including
technological principles that form the basis for a process so that the process can be better understood and the
selection of processing parameters to maximize product quality and safety can be made more effective. In addition,
the book contains new, hard-to-find data needed to conduct food process engineering calculations.
Hardcover 582 p., 180 illus. ISBN 9780387290195
New sections reflecting the current state of technology include:
- enthalpy change calculations in freezing based on the freezing point depression
- evaporative cooling
- interpretation of pump performance curves
- determination of shape factors in heat exchange by radiation
- unsteady state heat transfer, kinetic data for thermal degradation of foods during thermal processing
- pasteurization parameters for shelf-stable high acid foods and long-life refrigerated low acid foods
- high pressure processing of fluid and packaged foods
- concentration of juices
- environmentally friendly refrigerants
- modified atmosphere packaging of produce
- sorption equations for water activity of solid foods
- osmotic pressure and water activity relationships
- vacuum dehydration
- new membranes commercially available for food processing and waste treatment
- supercritical fluid extraction
Written for the upper level undergraduate, Fundamentals of Food Process Engineering,
Third Edition, is also a solid reference for the graduate food engineering student and professional.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- Review of Mathematical Principles and Applications in Food Processing.
- Units and Dimensions.
- Material Balance.
- Gases and Vapors.
- Energy Balances.
- Flow of Fluids.
- Heat Transfer.
- Kinetics of Chemical Reactions in Foods
Thermal Process Calculations.
: food safety
: food science
: food, chilled and frozen
: process engineering