Microbiology: Principles and Explorations - 7th edition
Jacquelyn G. Black
Microbiology: Principles and Explorations has been a best-selling textbook for
several editions due to the author's engaging writing style where her passion for the subject
shines through the narrative. The text's student-friendly approach provides readers with an excellent
introduction to the study of Microbiology. This text is appropriate for non-major and mixed major microbiology
allied health, agriculture and food sciences courses too.
Paperback 968 pp ISBN 9780470234150
Now updated to reflect the latest topics in the field (e.g., SARS, bioterrorism, GMO's, geomicrobiology)
and accompanied by state-of-the-art animations of key concepts, this new edition is sure
inspire a new generation of enthusiasts for the dynamic science of microbiology.
List of Boxes and Notebooks
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
I. Microbiology: The Fundamentals
1. Scope and History of Microbiology.
2. Fundamentals of Chemistry.
3. Microscopy and Staining.
* Characteristics of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic Cells.
II. Microbial Metabolism, Growth, and Genetics
5. Essential Concepts of Metabolism.
6. Growth and Culturing of Bacteria.
7. Microbial Genetics
* Gene Transfer and Genetic Engineering.
III. The Roster of Microbes and Multicellular Parasites
9. An Introduction to Taxonomy: The Bacteria.
* Eukaryotic Microorganisms and Parasites.
IV. Control of Microorganisms
12. Sterilization and Infection.
* Antimicrobial Therapy.
V. Host-Microbe Interactions
14. Host-Microbe Relationships and Disease Processes.
* Epidemiology and Nosocomial Infections
* Innate Host Defenses
* Immunology I: Basic Principles of Specific Immunity and Immunization.
* Immunology II: Immunological Disorders and Tests.
* Infectious Disease of Human Organ Systems
* Diseases of the Skin and Eyes;
Wounds and Bites.
* Urogenital and Sexually Transmitted Diseases
* Diseases of the Respiratory System.
* Oral and Gastrointestinal Diseases.
* Cardiovascular, Lymphatic, and Systemic Diseases.
* Diseases of the Nervous System
VII. Environmental and Applied Microbiology
* Environmental Biology
* Applied Microbiology
Appendix A: Metric System Measurement Conversion and Math Tool.
Appendix B: Classification of Bacteria and Viruses
Appendix C: Word Roots Commonly Encountered in Microbiology
Appendix D: Safety Precautions in the Handling of Clinical Specimens
: food science
: human health
: waste treatment