Eagan Press Handbook Series
Softcover 144 pages, 2 B/W photos, 19 B/W illus, 68 tables ISBN 0913250945
Dairy-Based Ingredients offers fast answers to most questions about the
use of milk-derived products as ingredients in the food industry. It is the
first single source to bring together the practical information needed to
understand and work with dairy-based ingredients in a concise, easy-to-follow
format. Equipped with this guide, food professionals no longer need to spend
time searching for answers to questions about dairy-based ingredients in the
scattered scientific literature or the product-specific information provided by
suppliers. Designed for anyone working in the food industry--not just technical
staff--this ready reference offers quick access to basic technical information.
Among the dairy ingredients covered are fluid milk, milk concentrates, cheese
and cheese products, frozen deserts, whey products and lactose, fermented
milks, and milkfat concentrates. This book also covers the use of these
components in a wide variety of finished food products, including baked goods,
confectionery, sauces, dressings, puddings, infant formulas, snack foods,
meats, and more. Details include basic chemistry, functional properties, food
applications, tips on problem-solving, analytical testing, processing
characteristics, production and specifications, nutrition, labelling, safety,
and regulatory issues. Dairy-Based Ingredients is designed for maximum
convenience. The presentation is direct and easy-to-read. Definitions, facts,
and principles appear in the page margins to highlight key information.
Troubleshooting tables allow readers to quickly look up symptoms, causes, and
solutions to common application problems. A generous supply of illustrations,
diagrams, and charts simplifies important processes and data. Tables summarize
specifications, chemical composition, and other critical information.
Photographs show examples of current technology, equipment, and products at key
stages in the production process. This handbook is a valuable resource for a
wide range of professionals in the food industry, including new product
developers, quality assurance staff, production personnel, plant managers and
supervisors, course instructors, students, engineers, chemists,
microbiologists, purchasing agents, suppliers, and technical sales
representatives. The contents are as follows:
- Properties of Milk and Its Components
- Milk Composition.
- Constituents of Milk: major constituents, minor and trace
- Physical Properties of Milk: colour, flavour, density and specific
gravity, surface tension, foaming, viscosity, specific heat, electrical
conductivity, freezing point, boiling point, refractivity.
- Basic Milk Processing
- Raw Milk Handling and Storage.
- Standardization: fat standardization, standardization of fat and
- Packaging and Storage.
- Production and Specifications of Milk Concentrates
- Concentrated Milk Products: condensed products, dry milk products.
- Whey Products and Lactose: processing techniques, whey products,
- Milkfat Concentrates: cream, butter and its products.
- Processing and Specifications of Dairy Foods
- Cheese and Cheese Products: natural cheeses, process cheese products,
- Fermented Milks.
- Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts: formulation of ice cream, soft frozen
- Baked Products
- Butter in Baked Products: functions of butter, handling of butter in
- Hard Wheat Products: pastry and laminated doughs, bread and biscuits.
- Soft Wheat Products: cakes, crackers, other products.
- Role of Dairy Ingredients in Fat Reduction of Baked Foods.
- Chocolate and Confectionery Products
- Chocolate Products: dairy-based ingredients, manufacturing
- Confections: dairy-based ingredients, manufacturing considerations.
- New Opportunities in Chocolate and Confections for Dairy-Based
- Sauces, Dressings, and Dairy Desserts
- Cheese Sauces/Dressings: manufacture, quality evaluation.
- Dressings and Dips: dairy salad dressings, sour-cream-based dips
- Snack Foods, Meats, and Other Applications
- Snack Foods: collets, chip production, cheese seasonings.
- Meat Products: functional properties of dairy-based ingredients,
- Other Applications: infant formulas, functional foods, dairy
biologics, probiotics and prebiotics.
- Nutrition and Labelling
- Nutrients in Dairy Products: vitamins and minerals, protein quality,
milkfat, nutritional concerns, milk allergy.
- Food Labelling.
- Regulatory and Safety Aspect
- Regulation by the Food and Drug Administration: the pasteurized milk
ordinance, standards of identity.
- Analytical Tests.
- Microbiological Safety and Sanitary Practices: good manufacturing
practices, hazard analysis and critical control points.
Appendix A. Origin and Description of Some Off-Flavours in Milk
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
Appendix B. Typical Composition of Dairy Ingredients
Typical Specifications for Milk Concentrates
Appendix D. Processing
: analytical methods
: dairy products
: food & beverage products
: food ingredients
: food science
: nutrition, human
: process engineering