Handbook of Surface and Colloid Chemistry, Third edition
Edited by K.S. Birdi
Information on previous editions appear below the line
Hardback 784 ISBN 9780849373275
- Features updated and expanded chapters that review the most current literature, research,
- Covers new topics such as the hydrophobic effect, water purification, nanoscience, and nanotechnology
- Includes extensive reference listings, line illustrations, and photographs in each chapter
- Contains contributions from leading international researchers
The third edition of a besteller covers the latest advancements in this rapidly growing field.
Focusing on analyses and critical evaluation of the subject, this new edition reviews the most up-to-date
research available in the current literature. International contributors offer their perspectives on various topics
including micellar systems, microemulsions, colloidal assemblies, thermodynamics of polymer solutions, oil
recovery and production, and hydrogen bonding. In addition to the expanded treatment of several important
areas, this book features new subjects including the hydrophobic effect, water purification, nanoscience, and
Surface and Colloid Chemistry:
Introduction. Hydrogen Bonding in Solutions: The Equation of State Approach.
Hydrophobic Forces in Surface Chemistry. Thermodynamic Properties of Surfactant Solutions.
Micellar Systems and Microemulsions.
Foams and Antifoams: A Thin Film Approach. Emulsions: Formation and Applications. Solubilization in
Aqueous Surfactant Systems. Thermodynamics of Polymer Solutions. Controlled Synthesis and Processing
of Ceramic Oxides. Chemical Phyics of Colloid Systems and Interfaces.
Colloidal Assemblies: Formation and Applications. Scattering and Absorption of Light by Particles and
Colloid Systems and Interfaces: Stability of Dispersions Through Polymer and Surfactant
Drug-Delivery Systems: Nanoparticles and Their Formation. Bio-Membrane Systems.
Nanostructures & Nanotechnology: Nanoengineering and Nanoreactors.
Oil Recovery and Production: Application of Surface-Active Agents.
Water Purification: Application of Foam Separation.
The science of surface and colloid chemistry has been expanding at a rapid pace, resulting in new areas of
development, additional applications, and more theoretical and experimental information on related systems.
Completely revised and expanded to reflect the very active worldwide research on this subject, this is the
definitive handbook for the chemistry of surface and colloidal systems.
- Information on phase equilibria and surfactants, liposomes-drug delivery, and enhanced oil recovery
- Contributions from a distinguished panel of international scientists
- Extensive data in 100 tables and 200 figures
- Over 2000 references
With contributions from a team of international experts, the Handbook of Surface and Colloid Chemistry, Second
Edition brings you up-to-date on the most recent developments in this area, with extensive coverage of a range of
research subjects. The scope of the second edition includes such topics as interfacial film structures for thin-film
formation and emulsion formation; contact angle and adsorption studies to characterize solid surfaces; the impact
of the scanning tunneling microscope and the atomic force microscope; and more. The theoretical basis of colloids
and their stability is thoroughly described, which will be sure to lead to more fascinating developments.
This new edition of the Handbook of Surface and Colloid Chemistry retains the outstanding organization of its
bestselling predecessor, while augmenting the text with new research and developments in the field. It continues
to provide authoritative information in a format that provides a valuable resource for planning your future research.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- Introduction to Surface and Colloid Chemistry, K.S. Birdi
- Hydrogen Bonding in Solutions: The Equation-of-State Approach,
Costas G. Panayiotou
- Surface Tension and Interfacial Tension of Liquids, K.S. Birdi
- Surface Waves and Dissipative Solitons Sustained by the Marangoni Effect, Michèle Vignes-Adler and Manuel G. Velarde
- Chemical Physics of Colloid Systems and Interfaces, Peter A. Kralchevsky, Krassimir D. Danov, and Nikolai D. Denkov
- Solubilization in Aqueous Surfactant Systems, Harald Hoiland and Anne Marit Blokhus
- Colloid Systems and Interfaces: Stability of Dispersions through Polymer and Surfactant Adsorption, P. Somasundaran, B. Markovic, X. Yu, and S. Krishnakumar
- Controlled Synthesis and Processing of Ceramic Oxides: A Molecular Approach, Jarl B. Rosenholm and Mika Lindén
- Solubilization in Surfactant Systems, Clarence A. Miller
- Cohesion Energy Parameters Applied to Surface Phenomena,
Charles M. Hansen
- Self-Assembly of Monodispersed Spherical Colloids into Complex Structures, Younan Xia, Byron Gates, Yadong Yin, and Yugang Sun
- Thermally Sensitive Latex Particles: Preparation, Characterization, and Application in the Biomedical Field, Abdelhamid Elaissari
- Nucleic Acid-Dependent Enzymatic Reactions in Conventional Liposomes and Giant Vesicles, Thomas Oberholzer
- Scattering and Absorption of Light by Particles and Aggregates, C.M. Sorensen
- Application of Scanning Probe Microscopy (Scanning Tunneling Microscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy) in Colloid and Surface Chemistry, K.S. Birdi and D.T. Vu
- Thermodynamics of Polymer Solutions, Georgios M. Kontogeorgis