Breakfast Cereals and How They are Made, 2nd Edition
Edited by Robert B. Fast and Elwood F. Caldwell
This book builds upon the solid foundation of information set by the first edition. It provides readers with the single
most comprehensive, up-to-date breakfast cereal resources. The 2nd Edition fulfils the need for updated and new
breakfast cereal information generated by the increased importance and consumption of breakfast cereals world-wide.
All of the chapters in this new book have been updated or significantly revised. Information on contemporary topics
such as new developments in equipment and technology, the expansion of computer control within the industry,
advances in nutritional knowledge, and environmental issues in breakfast cereal manufacturing have been added.
It is is international in scope, using S.I. units of measurements as well as those common in North America.
International coverage of process equipment is also covered.
Hardcover 562 pages; 84 photographs; 106 illustrations ISBN 1891127152
The novice or seasoned professional working in product development, process engineering, technical sales,
nutrition, sensory analysis, packaging, or quality assurance is sure to benefit from the in-depth information presented
in this book that includes
- Advances to help boost productivity and improve product quality.
- New developments in equipment and technology
- Advances in nutritional findings
- Improved attention to starch as a polymer and its processing characteristics as they affect tempering, preconditioning and flaking
- Enhanced international coverage of process equipment
- Increased detailed treatment of automation and computer control in processing
- Expanded practical and regulatory information on environmental issues
- Enlarged listing of manufacturers of processing and packaging equipment
The Cereal Grains
Manufacturing Technology of Ready-to-Eat Cereals
Unit Operations and Equipment. I. Blending and Cooking
Unit Operations and Equipment. II. Drying and Dryers
Unit Operations and Equipment. III. Tempering, Flaking and Toasting
Unit Operations and Equipment. IV. Extrusion and Extruders
Application of Nutritional and Flavoring/Sweetening Coatings
Packaging of Breakfast Cereals: Materials and Machinery
Fortification and Preservation of Breakfast Cereals
Quality in Breakfast Cereals
Computer Control in the Breakfast Cereal Industry
Environmental Issues in Breakfast Cereal Manufacturing
Appendix A - Partial list of Manufacturers of Equipment for Processing and
Packaging of Breakfast Cereals
Appendix B - Additional References
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
American Association of Cereal Chemists
: food science
: nutrition, human