Introduction to Botany
Paperback 656 pages ISBN 9780805344165
Please note: This title is not available from CPL Press in North America or
Australasia - please contact a local source
to Botany's comprehensive and rigorous coverage captures students' attention by showing them why plants are
a fascinating and essential part of their everyday lives. The clear, concise text focuses on four major themes -
plants and people, conservation biology, evolution, and biotechnology - and gives students practical and relevant
information about the world of botany. Thematic boxes throughout each chapter further highlight the relationship
between plants and students' lives.
Nabors' clear and engaging writing style keeps students interested in
the science without ever becoming encyclopedic. The Botany Place Website offers a wealth of online resources to
help students succeed in the course.
1. The World of Plants.
I. THE STRUCTURE OF
2. Cell Structure and the Cell Cycle.
3. An Introduction to Plant Structure.
Stems, and Leaves: The Primary Plant Body.
5. Secondary Growth in Stems and Roots.
6. Life Cycles
and Reproductive Structures.
II. THE FUNCTIONS OF PLANTS.
7. Basic Plant Biochemistry.
10. Water Relations and Mineral Nutrition.
11. Plant Growth
Responses and Development.
III. GENETICS AND GENE EXPRESSION.
Expression and Activation.
14. Plant Biotechnology.
IV. EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY.
17. Viruses and Prokaryotes.
21. Seedless Vascular Plants.
23. Angiosperms: Flowering
24. Ecology and the Biosphere.
25. Ecosystem Dynamics: How
26. Conservation Biology.
To find similar publications, click on a keyword below:
- Thematic boxes highlight four
important themes - plants and people, conservation biology, evolution, and biotechnology.
- Shows students
how plants are relevant to their everyday lives.
- The Intriguing World of Plants boxes in every chapter include
entertaining and engaging information about plants.
- Captures students' attention and motivate them to learn
more about botany.
- Section Review questions at the end of every major section reinforce key concepts.
- Tests students understanding of what they have just learned.
- Appropriate length makes the book
manageable for the majority of one-semester mixed- and non-majors introductory botany courses.
coverage includes the appropriate level of scientific rigor while covering just the right amount of material.
Engaging and accessible writing style makes the world of botany come alive for students and emphasizes how
plants are both fascinating and essential to their everyday lives.
- End-of-Chapter materials:
for Thought and Discussion strengthens critical-thinking skills by encouraging students to apply the material they
have just learned.
- Learn More section provides further reading for students who want to learn more about
topics covered in the chapter.
: Spring 2004
: life sciences
: plant genetics
: plant hormones
: plant nutrition
: plant science